Skip to content


Your cart is empty

Article: Watermelon Extract

Watermelon Extract

We all know watermelon is delicious (especially on a hot summer day), but did you know that it also happens to have some pretty fantastic skincare benefits? That’s right, turns out the pink, juicy fruit is more than just a tasty snack. It’s no wonder that watermelon fruit extract and watermelon seed extract-based products have taken the skincare world by storm. Beyond the incredible natural scent derived from watermelon, products with either of these ingredients have the ability to hydrate, tone, and balance the skin. Keep reading to discover all there is to know
about watermelon extract.

As watermelon is now sold in countries all over the world, you may not know that the fruit actually originated in southern Africa. In addition, watermelons grow all year round in certain climates as they only require steady temperatures of 25 degrees Celsius or above. Yet another fun fact about watermelon: did you know that it is a cousin to squash and pumpkin? That’s right, just like those vegetables, watermelon grows on a vine. Lastly (we promise this is it), watermelon gets its name from the fact that 92% of it is made up of water (the other 8% is
sugar). Thus, it’s no surprise that such an ingredient can not only hydrate your body but your face! Keep an eye out for all kinds of skincare ingredients containing various forms of watermelon extract, from serums and moisturisers to face masks and toners.

As you may have guessed if you read the paragraph above, watermelon extract is extremely hydrating. Given that so much of a watermelon is made up of water, it’s no surprise that it has the ability to transform dull, dry skin. Beyond providing a temporary boost of hydration, the topical application of watermelon extract will help your skin retain more moisture over time. The result is moisturised, supple, youthful-looking skin. Second, watermelon extract is also a natural
toner for the skin. It contains a substance that shrinks body tissues, serving to even out and refresh the skin. Lastly, due to its high content of vitamins and antioxidants, watermelon extract works wonders when it comes to slowing down the aging process. Watermelon is a potent antioxidant, which means it is a professional when it comes to fighting off free radicals that
contribute to signs of aging. Vitamins C and E, both of which watermelon extract is chock full of, are able to penetrate the skin and protect it against the free radicals that damage it, like UV rays or pollution.

You’re in luck - watermelon extract not only smells delicious and has a host of skin benefits, it’s also totally safe to use! As with any new skincare ingredient, do a patch test in advance.
Further, if you have any fruit allergies, then consult your dermatologist before use.

Leave a comment

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

All comments are moderated before being published.

Read more

Cetyl Alcohol

Due to the word “alcohol,” cetyl alcohol has gained a bad rep. However, some quick research into the fatty alcohol and you will discover that it’s actually very different than typical alcohols, suc...

Read more

Shea Butter

If shea butter sounds familiar to you, it’s probably because you’ve seen this incredible-smelling ingredient in your fav body lotions and creams. Although you may have heard the phrase, you likely ...

Read more