Hyaluronic acid is one of the most famous ingredients in the skincare world for a reason - it works!
Known for holding up to 1,000 times its weight in water (yes, you read that right), it has become the go-to ingredient for anyone looking to revive a dull, dry complexion.
But even more than unparalleled hydration, hyaluronic acid offers several other skincare benefits. Keep reading to discover the top 10 ways that hyaluronic acid can dramatically improve skin health.
1. It’s Extremely Hydrating: Hyaluronic acid is a powerhouse when it comes to bonding with water molecules. It’s this incredible talent that allows it to lock in and retain moisture, providing a major dose of hydration to the skin. By helping your skin replenish and retain water, you’ll be left with a plump, hydrated complexion.
2. It’s Safe to Use For All Skin Types: Hyaluronic acid is non-irritating, which makes it suitable for all skin types, including those with sensitive skin. Plus, here at Dope Skin Co., all ingredients we use are natural and plant-based, so you can rest assured that all of our serums are as gentle as they are effective.
3. It Comes in Multiple Forms: Though our favourite has to be a hyaluronic acid serum, this superstar ingredient can be found in a wide range of topical skincare products and is even available as an injectable or in supplement form.
4. It’s Easily Accessible: Unlike some skincare ingredients out there, you won’t need a prescription to add hyaluronic acid to your daily routine. Here in Australia and elsewhere around the world, hyaluronic acid is available over-the-counter and can easily be found in most pharmacies and big box stores (as well as online via your favourite luxe skincare brands, like Dope Skin Co).
5. It Absorbs Quickly: Say goodbye to that greasy residue leftover after applying certain skincare products. Unlike other ingredients, hyaluronic acid is fast-absorbing, which means no drop goes to waste.
6. It Reduces the Appearance of Fine Lines and Wrinkles: Given that dehydrated skin is one of the main causes of wrinkles, it’s no surprise that hyaluronic acid’s hydrating properties help to reduce common signs of aging. The ingredient’s uncanny ability to lock in moisture serves to hydrate the skin while minimizing fine lines. (Our little anti-aging secret: Pair hyaluronic acid and niacinamide together to simultaneously boost collagen production and improve elasticity.)
7. It Promotes Skin Cell Regeneration: When applied topically, hyaluronic acid for the skin has the power to stimulate skin cell regeneration. Though it won’t necessarily speed up the cell renewal process, it does aid in the regeneration process owing to the extra hydration it offers.
8. It Fights Pigmentation: When there is increased cell turnover, as mentioned above, hyaluronic acid for the skin has the ability to fight hyperpigmentation. It both reduces the appearance of pre-existing dark spots while also working to prevent any future pigmentation.
9. It Enhances Your Skin’s Natural Barrier: By locking in moisture, hyaluronic acid strengthens the skin’s natural barrier (outermost layer), increasing the resilience of your skin. With continued use, your skin will better be able to defend against free radicals, like air pollution and UV rays.
10. It Tightens and Smooths Skin: Beyond plumping the skin, improving elasticity, and reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, hyaluronic acid also tightens and smooths the skin. To avoid saggy skin (which happens naturally as we age) and to help damaged skin recover, reach for a hyaluronic acid serum or other skincare product. This acid is known to quickly improve skin texture and tone.
For the best hyaluronic acid serums in Australia, look no further than Dope Skin Co.’s 100% natural AHA/BHA Serum and Collagen Serum.